Monday, June 4, 2012

INSANITY workout tips

One of the more popular workouts out there from Beachbody is INSANITY. INSANITY is an amazing program that will get you completely ripped and in the best cardiovascular shape of your life all from home. I have been getting questions about this workout often so I decided to take some of the most popular questions and answer here on my blog.

#1 Who can do INSANITY?
A common question that comes up is who can do INSANITY. Is it for anyone or is it just for fit people. In my opinion INSANITY can work for anyone who is willing to put the effort into it. I do not believe that only "fit" people can do this workout but anyone is capable of using the program. I will say though it is a very difficult and advanced program, so if you are not willing to push yourself past your own limits then I would not recommend this workout for you.

#2 Can INSANITY be modified to be easier? 
INSANITY requires you to use your body weight to perform every exercise. Just like the rest of Beachbody programs INSANITY can be modified. Here are a few tips on how to modify the workout for yourself.

- When performing the plyometric jumping moves you do not have to jump as high as the people on the TV jump at your own comfort zone. Even if you have to start with just squatting up and down or just a small hop that is fine. You will over time become better at the moves and build more explosive power making you able to jump higher.

- During push up moves in the program you do not have to go all the way down and be on your feet. Instead of this you can go to your knees and just go down as far as you can. You will find after time you will become stronger and be able to go deeper into the push ups and be able to get off your knees and onto your toes.

- Go at your own pace. what I mean by this is go at your own speed you feel comfortable at. You do not have to go at the speed of everyone on the TV because you will most likely not make it threw the workout. Begin at a pace that you can do safely and that allows you to get your heart rate up. This is important because if your heart rate is to low it will not burn calories like you should be if your heart rate was at it's calorie burning zone.

#3 can I take more breaks then they allow and still get an effective workout? 
Many people believe that to get an effective workout they have to do everything that they see on the screen. This is not true. If you have to take more breaks then allowed go for it don't be afraid to take breaks! You will notice when you start you will be taking many breaks because INSANITY is like no other workout you have ever done. Over time you will see that you are able to push yourself further into the workouts and take less breaks. This is where you will see the change in your body. I do not recommend though to take a long break when ever you want to. Take just enough time to rest to catch your breath and get back into it! The max rest you should take is no longer then 10 seconds. If you start standing around for longer then this your heart rate will start to go down and you will start to burn less calories.

#4 What is the best shoes to wear during INSANITY or can I do it barefoot?
INSANITY requires you to be moving on your feet quite a bit. The entire workout is designed for you to be on your feet and be jumping around a lot! What I recommend to anyone starting out is to wear a shoe that gives you a lot of support. The reason for this is because when you are jumping around so much it will take a toll on your legs, knees, and lower back. Not many people are use to this much stress on there lower body so a good supportive shoe will take some of the stress off your body. There are other people who do prefer working out barefoot. What I recommend is that if you are use to plyometric jump training and you have a strong base who can perform each move with perfect form then go for it. I have done both with one exception. I use Zig Techs and Vibrams when I do INSANITY. I started off with the Zig Techs at first until I got use to the moves and got my form down perfect. After that I decided to try and use the Vibrams. I noticed quite a difference between the two. The Zig Techs gave a lot more support, but the Vibrams made it feel like I was barefoot and was able to move a lot quicker durning the workouts with less restriction on my feet.

#5 Can I run while doing INSANITY?
Coming from a track background myself I can relate to this question. Should I run durning INSANITY. this one is a tough one, but this is my thoughts on the question. INSANITY puts a beating on your legs and running dose the same thing. For you beginners out there I do not suggest running while doing INSANITY because you are not use to the stress on your legs. To much stress on your legs that are not use to them can cause injury such as muscle pulls, cramping, and even stress fractures. To play it safe which is the most important thing to do I suggest go threw one round first then if you feel strong you can add some running into the program.


Those are a few of the most common questions I get about INSANITY. If anyone has any questions about the workout feel free to leave a comment below or make me your coach by clicking here which will give you access to me 24/7 to answer any questions you have and help you with anything else fitness.



If you would like to learn more or have any questions contact me by Clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment